• Danny Hughes


Featured Image Credit: Danny Hughes

This weekend Chesterfield welcomed Bromley to the Technique stadium in a race for promotion clash.

Chesterfield will have been looking to bounce back after a 0-0 draw with Boredom Wood midweek. Whereas Bromley are desperate to break into the play off spots. Chesterfield prepared for the game awaiting news on star striker, Akwasi Asante’s injury but manager, James Rowe insisted it was an opportunity for someone else to make most of a chance in the team.

Before the game Bromley sat in ninth but only three points behind fifth placed Chesterfield. However Chesterfield do have two games in hand on their opponents. Both teams have recently brought in new managers but Bromley have been the most recent to change direction as they replaced long lasting manager, Neil smith with the rather inexperienced Andy Woodman.

Chesterfield have also changed manager this season, replacing John Pemberton with James Rowe and it has certainly paid off. Upon arrival James Rowe walked into a Chesterfield side third from bottom and lacking any real quality however, he has brought in his own players and ejected the Spireites into the play offs.

It was certainly hotting up to be a top match with both teams looking for all three points. Bromley went into the game with just two wins out of their last five but both of them came back to back before this weekends game. Chesterfield on the other hand were on a hot run of form unbeaten in their last six games.

Bromley kicked us off and went direct straight away.

First five minutes Chesterfield dominated the possession but couldn’t make anyhthing of it.

6’ First chance of the game saw Alex whittle lose his man at the back post from a free kick but the Bromley player couldn’t only head into the side netting.

7’ Massive chance for Chesterfield as Mitchell turned his man and found Weston who’s deflected shot from inside the box was scrabbled off the goal line by a Bromley defender, just millimetres from going in. The referee definetly needed his assistants help on that one as the Chesterfield players appealed for a goal.

20' Michael Cheek got on the end of a lofted pass in behind the Chesterfield backline and slotted it past Grant Smith’s left hand side putting Bromley 1-0 in a tightly contested affair.

24’ Chesterfield responded well with some possession in the Bromley half and some quick two touch passes fell to Jack Clarke on the edge of the box who’s curling shot wasn’t enough to beat Mark Cousins in the Bromley goal.

31’ George Carline’s long throw landed on the head of Fraser Kerr who’s header hit the back post which bromley defenders eventually cleared.

Another chance went begging for the Blues who really deserved something for all their efforts in the Bromley half. Bromley on the other hand seemed to have retreated to playing just in their own half which frustrated manager, Andy Woodman. Woodman was desperately shouting instructions to his side who were inviting more and more pressure.

As time ticked on in the first half Chesterfield began to become more frustrated.George Foster, Chesterfield’s assistant was constantly in the referees ear for bromley time wasting antics in an attempt to slow the game down.

Bromley defended their lead well and went into the break with a one goal lead through the clinical Michael Cheek. Despite their lead Bromley boss Andy woodman raised concern of his sides performance from the touchline and after that they rode Chesterfield’s waves of attack well and slowed the game down to get themselves ahead at the break.

48’ Bromley have the ball in the net but the linesman quickly puts his flag up and it is disallowed.

Chesterfield once again putting on the pressure in the second half but nothing really clear cut being created. Bromley defended well and stayed really organised and waited for a counter attack opportunity.

63’ Bromley continued to be dangerous through a route one attack and they hit their target man really well. Chesterfield struggled to win the first ball from long balls and it caused them real problems all afternoon.

70’ Whelan’s lofted corner was met brilliantly by Kerr but Mark Cousins denied him superbly in the Bromley goal and kept the score at 1-0.

74’ Long throws and set pieces were mounting pressure on Bromley and eventually they folded in after Whelan’s floated cross was headed away Laurence Maguire, skipper for the day brought the ball down and volleyed home through a crowded penalty area. 1-1

80’ Carline picked up the ball on the right hand side and curled in a terrific cross but Nathan Tyson could only head over from close range.

85’ Bromley retain possession on the left hand side and a floated cross by Raymond is met by a wrestling Joe Kizzi and he heads down and passed Grant Smith in the Chesterfield goal. 2-1.

89’ Huge calls for a penalty by Chesterfield as Carline is tripped in the area, nothing given.

90’ Bodies on the line from Bromley as they continued to block everything that is hit their way.

Bromley hung onto their lead throughout the five minutes added on and got over the line with a 2-1 victory and all three points.

Precise finishes from Cheek and Kizzi cancelled out Maguire’s goal as the Spireites once again lacked some clinical finishing in the final third. Bromley edge one step closer to the playoffs and now after four points dropped from their last two Chesterfield will need to make the most of their games in hand and bounce back immediately.